Tuesday, November 27, 2012

happy tummies


Thanksgiving in Florida should be our new family tradition. What isn't there to love about sun-soaked mornings filled with the cooing of doves.. not to mention the comparatively balmy temperatures? Long hours filled with coffee and chatting gave way to a deliciously enormous meal of turkey and every possible trimming. My meagre contribution was a flat of butter-tarts, my grandmother's recipe - a real hit which ended in my writing out the method on index cards for some of my inlaws. There is such joy in watching personal family favourites melt into what will become our family's story.


Coming home has seemed like an endless string of go-Go-GO! Christmas shopping and new year preparations and a house blanketed in leaves. After helping DH rake up the front and back yards, I slipped into the house to fix a batch of these painfully-simple soft pretzels - a treat for hard work well done. He likes his plain, while I like to tear chunks off with my fingers and drag them through puddles of yellow mustard; either way, paired with a nice cold beer, they hit that "We done good" spot. THIS is the recipe I use, but I find they've not browned enough after 10 minutes so I pull them out, brush them with the melted butter, then return them to the oven for another 2-3 minutes: this gives them a golden colour and the most delicious crunchy bottom. Give them a try, you wont regret it! (Although your hips might. Yummm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment